Friday, August 20, 2010

Single Photo Friday:: Outtakes



The other day I was photographing Brent, a talented local actor. I took this frame in between figuring out our next moment. I know he will not use this as his headshot, but there is something about it that I feel captures something so very Brent.

The funny thing about taking photos of people is there are always some nerves involved - for both the subject and the photographer. Even an actor, who is used to the spotlight to a certain degree, may not always feel relaxed when a camera is lifted and directed towards them. And as the photographer, I want to get images that speak to who someone is, so I put a certain amount of pressure on myself. I want funny and silly and serious and unsure and happy and anything else that I can get in our time together. I often fall in love with images I know people may not use, possibly because I love the moment. That may not be their favorite moment. Or, in this case, may not be their marketable moment.

If the goal is to get work for an actor, or to illustrate an editorial story, or to give a family a moment of their life to look back on, I look for the obvious and wait for the hidden gems. They will reveal themselves to you if you are patient!



....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true, you never know what your best picture is going to be. Sometimes, it's not the most obvious which is nice. Great post Judy!

Live Through the Lens said...

Thanks Julie! I love when an image reveals something about someone, something they may not really know is there.

Your blog is rockin', by the way!
:)

~ Judy