Friday, October 1, 2010

Single Photo Friday:: Gaga

Lady Gaga speaks in Portland, Maine against 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'.



Lady Gaga came to Portland recently and I photographed the event for the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.

It was all very last minute and a little chaotic (celebs don't make their way to Maine everyday), but such an amazing moment to be part of. I forced my way through the crowd so I could shoot from the front rather than on the press platform that was roughly half a mile away (dramatic exaggeration). By getting up close I found myself surrounded by lots of local college students who were seriously gaga for Gaga. I think being in the thick of their energy and excitement made the whole event an even more powerful experience for me. I loved watching them all go nuts both for her and all the speakers who came out to tell their stories. I watched people's eyes fill with tears one minute, erupt into screams and applause the next. Had I stayed back on the dreaded platform I would have left having felt maybe half the emotion.

And truth be told, I don't care what Lady Gaga wears at a big Hollywood events. The fact the she makes some pretty great music and is standing up for something she believes in are the only reasons I need to like her. And it's always cool to photograph people I like.


...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice shot, Judy! I should have followed you up there! Cindy

Live Through the Lens said...

Thanks for reminding me to be assertive, Cindy!
:)