Friday, December 3, 2010

Single Photo Friday: Open

My neighborhood is looking festive. Shot on Nikon D3 ISO 6400.


I got a new camera! Well, new to me. It came my way when I wasn't in the market for anything (though visions of camera gear dance in my head on a regular basis). What once belonged to the fabulous photographer and storyteller, Jim Daniels (whom I worked for over 10 years ago and whose work I admire greatly), is now sitting here in my office with me. Check out his site, and get ready to be moved.

Jim passed away earlier this year after battling cancer. His absence is felt throughout the photo community, but especially in the homes of his family members, and throughout parts of the world where he has made an impact with both his photos and general being.

Using a piece of Jim's camera gear carries a decent amount of weight for me. I walked in the cool air last night, cranked the ISO up to 3200, 6400, and even 10,000(!!) and took a few shots of my little neighborhood. It felt amazing! I have been trying to justify the buying of this camera when I am worried about other things I need more, when Christmas is right around the corner, when I'm in the middle of upgrades to our new home, when I already have 2 digital bodies that work fine.

But sometimes FINE isn't good enough. Earlier that day I packed up my first digital camera (the Fuji S5 Pro) and shipped it off to KEH. I felt more relief than anything else. That camera and I were never an ideal fit. It simply couldn't keep up with me.

But Jim's camera (which I think is what it will always be called) is fast and shoots in low light and fits nicely in my hand and by my eye. It can keep up with me AND push me to the next level.

When I got home I stood in front of my house and just stared at it. There were a few festive lights in the windows and I found myself needing to pause and take in the moment. I just used Jim's camera, photographed in the dark, felt alive and grateful and inspired. I stared at the warm glow coming from parts of my house and felt a wave of emotion that let me know I made the right decision - both in moving to this home and in buying Jim's camera.

Being open can really pay off at times.



...

No comments: