Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Piece of America



Months ago I mentioned a trip I took to Virginia that brought me to the town of Floyd. My cousin Ron, who is a musician, square & contra dance caller, as well as husband, dad, and owner of a few self-serve car washes in Pittsburgh, brought me to this tiny town where music seems to thrive. I was excited.

First, I was excited to see him play. Plus, I love string instruments. I can't really explain it. I have no idea how to play them, but I am drawn to their beauty. I love the shape and look of the wood. I could watch people play them for hours.

Lightning Jack. His real name is Bill.


And he didn't stay seated for long.


At first I sat on a chair in the circle, next to Ron and Lightning Jack. But like Jack, I couldn't stay seated for long. Some moments could be captured from the angle the chair provided, but I quickly needed to change my angle, my viewpoint. Since I can't grasp what musicians are doing when they play their violins, fiddles, cellos, and guitars I tend to fixate on their hands. Which is where I end up pointing & focusing my camera.

Ron, keeping up with Lightning Jack.


When I look at these photos I can remember how Lightning Jack seemed to be playing off Ron the most. Perhaps because he was new and unfamiliar, but also because he seemed to like how he played. He got out of his chair and kept getting closer and closer to Ron as he played. He was listening to something I would have never heard. But I could watch. It was, for lack of a better description, pretty cool to witness.


People gathered to listen. Ron's face shows him listening to another man in the circle, who had not been playing for long. But I was focusing on Lightning Jack's hand.


Beyond the music circle you can see other musicians starting to gather in the streets. This is the scene on Friday nights in Floyd!




And how else would I have been able to witness this if not for my camera? There are details that present themselves when you have a camera that maybe you wouldn't notice otherwise. Not only did I spend a lot of time watching their hands, but also their eyes as they followed each other and tried to keep up or figure out each other's style. I noticed this ring Lightning Jack was wearing and took several shots trying to show it off. I kind of made my own assumption that there is a story and some meaning behind it. Just like so many things in life.


Ron and Lightning Jack playing off each other. At one point Lightning Jack stopped playing, smiled, and said "Man, where you from? I like how you play!"


I am not a musician, which may be why I am fascinated by watching those who can do this craft. I'm also from New England, and this scene was so different from what I normally see in my own town. But part of what I loved about this night in this part of the country was this sense of community. A small town community, a community of musicians and artists supporting each other - listening, playing, creating. It's the stuff that makes America great. And why it's so good to leave the comforts of home every once in awhile.



A piece of Floyd, VA - the country store where these musicians were gathered next to. Friday nights of music continue inside the store once it gets dark.
...

No comments: