Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What's in Your {Creative Endeavor} Blender?

What's in your blender?


People are always dispensing opinions and advice on how to get ahead, how to stand out, how to make your business successful, how to make yourself appear awesome in the eyes of others. I am active on social media, read plenty of blogs, and attend seminars all in the name of building and promoting my business and my brand. I am learning plenty about marketing myself, not to mention the art of developing a strong filter. There is a lot of junk out there, and yet lots of useful info that when put to use actually works.

Today I read a blog post that resulted in me rolling my eyes and wishing for those 10 minutes back. Then I read another post that made me jot down notes and filled my head with ideas that I can and will put to use in my life & business. So, it's a matter of finding what works for you.

One piece of advice I have heard over and over is: Position yourself as an expert in your field. This is how you will get noticed.

I totally get it. BUT I'm not buying it. People want me to, but I just can't. I do plenty of things well, but that doesn't make me an expert. I take good photos, I know my way around the gluten-free lifestyle, I can even sell you something you may not need. Maybe I'm an expert at getting things done in my pj's, though that's debatable.

The problem with the word expert is it seems so weighted. When you read something by someone who claims to be an expert, and you question their message or technique the trust is lost. So, where is the value in that? Still, I believe in leaving some things to the pros, (think electricians, roofers, hairstylists, photogs...) but I do not see the need to go around saying I am an expert Photographer Thinker Doer person. I know my stuff, yet I learn new things every day. And will continue to do so. Shouldn't that be good enough?

I guess some days it is, some days it isn't.

I think maybe some of these "experts" are taking themselves too seriously. That turns me off.

However, I will say I know my way around a blender and can make a delicious smoothie. I am often surprised when I realize the rest of the world is not enjoying a smoothie on a regular basis. What's not to like about a meal you can drink?

People ask me to share my smoothie secrets, wanting to know HOW to make the smoothie. Which to me is something I don't question, I just do. So, I am here to share with you, oh dear blog world filled with so much white noise and static, the joys of making a damn good smoothie. Enjoy my advice, put it to good use, but don't call me an expert. Maybe I'm really just an idea sharer.

A handful of years ago I got a basic recipe from Stacy that went something like this:

1 Banana
6 Frozen Strawberries
OJ (1 cup? half cup? I don't know...)
Soy milk (roughly same amount as OJ, but it's really your choice)
1 Serving of protein powder of your choice


This is just a starting point. I have moved in a few directions and experimented with many different products over the years. For me, the banana is crucial because it does something to the consistency, but I don't sweat it when it's smoothie time and we are out of bananas. My general choices now involve almond milk rather than soy, and raspberries rather than strawberries. And my protein powder is now something that is gluten-free. However, smoothies can be made with almost anything, the blender can handle it and your body will thank you. Here's a handy list of other ingredients I have used/love using/ encourage using (though not all at once):

Protein powder - your choice, and there are hundreds to choose from. I stay away from the chocolate ones, but that's just me. Watch out for too much sugar, not enough protein.
Milk - dairy, soy, goat, coconut, almond... your choice!
Juice - OJ is easiest, and perhaps cheapest. I love tropical flavors. If you have an actual juicer this will be the healthiest choice.

Blueberries
Strawberries
Mixed Berries
Raspberries
Mango
Peach
Kiwi
Frozen fruit makes the smoothie thicker, but fresh fruit is always great. Since I live in Maine fresh fruit is pretty expensive and not always available, soooo....
Ice will make things thicker if you are low on frozen fruit or using something fresh and therefore softer.

Tofu
Yogurt
Peanut butter
Almond butter
Honey
Spinach
Kale
Romaine Lettuce
MINT
Coconut/ Coconut oil
Avacado (will make it super smooth & creamy!)




Your cupboards and fridge can dictate what goes into your smoothie. I have my favorite things (banana, tropical juice of some sort, unflavored almond milk, raspberry & mango, half serving of protein powder, and sometimes almond or peanut butter) But I love to mix it up. Mint from your yard makes an amazing addition - and is my preferred ingredient throughout the summer. Coconut oil (which is actually a solid) is very tasty and has lots of health benefits, but should be put into blender and mixed BEFORE any frozen products. Otherwise it becomes one big clump which does not go down that easily. Plus, you can rub it on your hands and moisturize your skin while the blender is going. I love throwing greens into my blender as well. It's a great way to get rid of stuff that may be getting beyond the point of eating, but in blender and chopped up it doesn't go to waste AND you get the benefits of eating your greens.

One of the things to remember is to do what works best for you. Listen to some basic rules (if you want), but then change it up so it suits you, your tastes, your lifestyle. Be creative, experiment, make mistakes. Learn from it all. Make more the next day.

A mirror for life, business, & creative endeavors perhaps?


...

No comments: