Thursday, November 13, 2008

An Award! For me?


Yep, it's true. A fabulous fellow blogger nominated me for a Blog Award. I am humbled by this mainly because I am so new to this arena. And also because, well... I guess what I said before. That's enough reason to be shocked by a blog award.

Part of what I get do in order to accept this gorgeous award is mention six things that make me happy, then I need to nominate 6 other creative people in the blogging world to receive this award. Then they will, if they want to, say the six things they are happy about and then also nominate 6 people to get this blog award. A bit of a 'pay it forward' in the blog world. Here are 6 things that are making me happy:

  • My pruney fingers. I spelled that wrong, but I'm relaxed enough that I don't care. My fingers are pruned from time spent in my hot tub, also known as my thinking tank. It rids me of sore muscles and gives me a place to slow down and watch the clouds move, listen to the wind in the trees, or stare at a starry sky.
  • My brother. This week we celebrated my brother's 40th birthday. He may not be that happy about it, but I am. He is a cancer survivor and every big life event reminds me that he is here and healthy. And that is a very happy thing. Plus, his birthday party was a lot of fun!
  • The Weekend Warrior. My better half started MAKING a very cool and unique and thoughtful Christmas present for a family member that he seems so proud of. I'm excited to see it take shape, and I like watching his eyes light up.
  • Socks. My mother makes these great knit socks and I wear them as I sit with my computer (and this blog) in my chilly house and take great comfort in them. I can't wait to get another pair at Christmas!
  • Creative Cheerleading. My life at this point is blessed by supportive people. Simple doses of support can take you far. Natasha, of Creative Nachos is the blogger/friend/ cheerleader extraordinaire who nominated me for this award. So, I thank her and wish I could climb through the computer and give her a big hug. And I also think that this was a good exercise for me. We should all make of list the things that make us happy on regular basis.
  • My camera. The other night I photographed a fundraiser for an amazing organization called Project G.R.A.C.E. The event is called The Trivia Bee, and teams sign up to take part in a trivia competition. That doesn't sound all that exciting, I realize, but the event was a fun-filled atmosphere of enthusiasm where people put on costumes and got competitive and silly. I am happy that I was part of it because I felt a real sense of community, was proud to support a cause that helps so many people in need, and because my nephew dressed up as a magician and made this funny face:






Now for my six nominees. I wanted to find mostly photography or design based blogs to promote and nominate. I actually had to seek the help of others since I do not have a long list of blogs I follow at the moment. This was also a great exercise because it opened me up to a whole heap of fabulous blogs and creative inspiration. And, drumroll please, the nominees are:

Stephen Grant Photography
Featuring the work of an amazing LA photographer and former college buddy
Design Sponge
Cool, clean, and fun things to make or inspire
3191 - A Year of evenings
2 women in opposite Portlands post photos from every evening. They have already published a book from their blog photographing a year of mornings.
The Selby
Just check it out!
Pictures From the Road
Joys and photos from a couple traveling around in their airstream
37 Days
Patty Digh is a blogging veteran with many awards under her belt, but I remember being inspired by her at a time when I was shifting, creatively speaking.

There you have it! Now to spread the word and let these fine folks know what I have done....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous list, Judy. Pruney fingers always make me think of the beach or the pool and not wanting to come out because you are having too much fun...now I will think hot tub and imagine a night sky. Happy B'day to your brother!!! Will you share what your weekend warrior is making when he is done? That sounds exciting! Socks are the BEST!! I'm going to put mine on. The event you attended sounds cool and I love the picture - he's so cute!

Great choice of blogs...some I've heard of and others I have not but I'm going to check them all out.

You are an amazing and talented woman ....you inspire more than you know and deserve this award!!!

Sending love to my fav creative cheerleader!

Stephen Grant said...

Hi Judy

Thanks for the award and for keeping me in mind! I'm honored. I'm going to give your post a good few reads and think about what I shall list. More importantly, look at all the cool images you have been posting on here. Awesome work. I'll add you to my "list of blogs to stalk" and you'll be seeing me around here more often. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Judy = I think you are an amazing photographer which is why I tagged you. Come over to my blog to check it out and know...the whole reason was I thought you could share some totally random photos with totally random words....you rock!

Unknown said...

I love 3191 a Year of Evenings! My mother house-sits for Maria, the Portland, Maine blogger on a regular basis and she is the nicest woman with the two cutest cats ever! TTFN, Cindy