Thursday, November 13, 2008

A couple of Average Joes

How much do we know about someone just by looking at a photo? If I were to ask you what this Average Jane did, what would you guess?

OR, is it better to know nothing about the subject and therefore make your own conclusions?

Would you ever have guessed this smiling face belongs to a lawyer? Hanna the Happy Lawyer. I love this image because I think it is so very Hanna. She smiles this easily roughly 90% of the time. It's refreshing.

How about this guy?

Just another day of apple picking with Chris the UPS guy. Next time maybe I should photograph him wearing the famous uniform!

Nah. That would be too easy.


How much do you like to know about a subject when looking at a photograph? Does knowing the context and history make you enjoy the photo more or less? I don't think there is a wrong answer. A chance to draw your own conclusion or have the story spelled out for you.

At times, I do enjoy hearing people's immediate reactions to my work, as those are often the most honest. I have realized some images just don't work, where others might be stronger than I realized, just by getting that initial reaction from someone. However, as photographers we must learn to edit our own work. Feedback is important, and so is being true to your work, to yourself.


These three images are a few in a series of portraits I have of friends and family. Something I hope will be a more complete body of work someday. Images of people I share my life with, that say something about each person's individual personality. Wanna know more about them? I'll gladly answer questions...



And, sometimes it's just a simple moment between friends, snapped quickly with my camera.

..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Initially I like to simply look at the photo and imagine their story, why they are standing where they are and what their life is like in that moment. Then if I am lucky to be able to ask the photographer I will to see how close my version was to that of the truth.

I love each of these photos - the Happy Lawyer has a great smile. Even the backgrounds of each of these photos is interesting.

It's cold here today - really - for the first time so the last photo made me long for summer!

Kiersten said...

I wonder what the hot chic at the beach is thinking about? I like Hanna the lawyer, too. You b&w images are wonderful!

Live Through the Lens said...

Tash - I was thinking of you when I posted this, and how I sent you some photos and you wrote about them. I loved your initial reactions and stories. That was so much fun!
Ker - i think the hot chic is thinking about love and how it fits into her life. BAH haha! Or something like that..
anyhoooo thanks for the comments and compliments ladies!

Anonymous said...

i luf you boody! i'm smiling now... hanna