Saturday, December 13, 2008

Yard of Glass



Snow day = YAY! Though I guess I should really be calling it an Ice Day. No school, no work for many, no power, lights, heat, or internet for almost all. Yeah, that's right, I said no internet! No internet and no coffee on the morning of my birthday seemed adventurous at first. I bundled up and took my camera out once again to capture what was happening in my own backyard...





Shortly into the adventure of the Ice Day I was soaked and struggling to protect my camera, which for some reason I found humorous. But the beauty of what ice does to everything makes it hard to just put the camera down. And isn't it weird that while it was an ice storm, I was walking around with wet coat, hair, camera, hands, etc.? It felt almost like rain, only much colder and clearly, with a much bigger impact. As I write this, thousands are still without power and heat. Chainsaws were heard almost in unison across New England today.







And soon I realized that the beauty is also fragile. I backed into a bush while talking to my neighbors who took some heavy tree damage, and the whole thing almost toppled over. I nearly broke a bush just by lightly bumping into it! It was as if my entire yard was made of glass...





And I will admit that since I am both a caffeine and internet addict (that sounded much worse than it was intended), after my little camera adventure I hopped in my car and drove until I found a place with lights on that would also have heat and the two things I was craving most at that moment. The coffee was great, the stolen wireless signal - not so much.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Judy, I love this post and what you wrote about the ice storm--it's strange but we both ended up making similar posts! You got some great ice shots--I escaped our powerless house sans camera unfortunately (can you believe it?) So, I only got a couple of post-storm pics! Nice work here! Cindy

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Judy. My favorite shot is of your outside light. oh, and the title of this post makes me want to sing "Heart of Glass" by Blondie.

Live Through the Lens said...

Thanks ladies!
Cindy - I was telling someone the next day (when she said I must have gotten some great shots) how tough it is to actually capture things like ice storms. It looked so beautiful, but not all the photos translate that. I shot about 50 pics to get a few I like.
Ker - the light is also my fave. And you know I was singing HEART OF GLASS while I was uploading my photos!
:)

singingfamily said...

these are great! All we got was rain

Anonymous said...

This is incredible. Those photos were so clear I felt like I could touch the ice....these photos were an amazing birthday present...because they once again illustrate your amazing talent...and yet they feel like a present to me xo

Anonymous said...

Those frozen branches look great!