Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sick Day


Higgins Beach after the latest snow storm


Even photographers get sick. Today I sit in my pj's surrounded by tissues and battling up and down body temperatures and low energy. There's no one who needs calling with a report that I won't be heading in to work today. And there certainly isn't someone who will pay me to sit home sick. I had already forgotten that many people in our country have that option.

So, I sit surrounded by the many tissues and almost empty cups of liquids and just get to work. Build a new page on the website, contact a local magazine, spend time with the blog, work on some photos. The news shows slowly turn into soap operas (nice to learn Bo and Hope are still on TV...) and I wonder where the remote is and how much effort it will take me to get up and change the channel. Maybe I should make some tea, which will require more effort than finding the remote, but might be more rewarding. Sounds like a lot of things in life.

There is something funny about telling myself I need to take a sick day, and then still finding ways to get things done. Funny I guess, because I am still getting used to being my own boss. I like that I can stay home, feeling far below 100% and still accomplish something. Don't need to look nice to work on the computer. Plus, there are so few distractions for me right now.



Yesterday I left the office after only a few hours. I drove to Higgins Beach in Scarborough and took a little walk with my camera. I hoped the fresh air would make me feel better. I also thought if I wasn't feeling up to getting work done in the office, then at least I could put the camera to use. The air wasn't the right answer, it just made my nose run even more. But using the camera, as always, was a good recipe to make me feel better. Even if it was only temporary.

..

1 comment:

Stephen Grant said...

Feel better! Enjoyed the fence.